What’s in your water?

zerowater

I never thought about how good water filters were until I ordered a ZeroWater filter and it included a water testing tool.  They claim their filter results in water with 0 PPM (parts per million).  The higher the number means more particles and contaminants that not only make water taste bad but can also be bad for your health. It’s time for an experiment.

I tested my tap water, a bottle of spring water, and the ZeroWater filter:

Tap Water - 159 PPM

Tap Water – 159 PPM

Acadia Bottle Water -  24 PPM

Bottle Water – 24 PPM

ZeroWater - 0 PPM

ZeroWater – 0 PPM

My tap water clocked in at 159 PPM.  Is that a good number?  Apparently the World Health Organization says that water with a TDS (total dissolved solids) of 1,000 PPM is “acceptable” and under 600 PPM is “good.”  Yeah, maybe if you’re living in a tent in Africa it’s good but for us fussy Americans we want crystal clear drinking water without any off-flavors.  The higher the PPM number means the worse it will taste.  The bottle of Acadia Natural Spring Water was much better at 24 PPM.  And my new ZeroWater filter, as promised, clocked in at 0 PPM.  Guess it’s not marketing fluff after all.

I have two other water filters in my house–My refrigerator’s water filter (uses a PUR filter) and a Dr. Mercola filter that was pretty expensive.  In full disclosure, the refrigerator filter was replaced 2 months ago and the Dr. Mercola filter has about 5 months of use on it.  The refrigerator filter definitely gets more use than the Dr. Mercola filter.  The results really shocked me:

Refrigerator Water

My Refrigerator

Fridge Water - 171 PPM

Fridge Water – 171 PPM

My refrigerator PUR water filter is worse than my tap water at 171 PPM! How can that be?

Shouldn’t it be removing something?

Dr. Mercola Water Filter

Dr. Mercola Water Filter

Dr. Mircola's Pure & Clear - 178 PPM

Dr. Mircola’s Pure & Clear – 178 PPM

The worse rating goes to the expensive Dr. Mercola Pure & Clear drinking water filter which clocked in 178 PPM. It’s probably only fair to test the filters when they are brand new but I would still think that even if they are a few months old it shouldn’t be adding anything to the water.

I really like companies that back up their product claims, and the fact that the ZeroWater filter included a TDS water testing tool speaks volumes.   The instructions say to replace the ZeroWater filter once it gets to 6 PPM.  Maybe they should tell that to the entire water bottle industry.

21 thoughts on “What’s in your water?

1. glenn

I just borrowed a friends TDS tester. My tap water was at 59 so I tested my fridge filter and it was at 87. This shocked me and I changed the filter(it was over due) let about 10 glasses run through to purge the filter. Reading 245. did about 20 more glasses to purge it and got it down to 120 where it has stabilized. Brand new whirlpool filter. Scary stuff they are selling us. Guess I’ll either get a zero water or just drink my tap. That number 59 sounds pretty good right now. Think I paid $75 for a box of 2 whirlpool filters

1. todd Post author

Thanks for sharing your results. I still highly recommend Zero Water filters. I have one at the office and at home.

2. Shelby

I just got the zero water filter for the house. In the past we used the bobble but I haven’t been able to find the filters and I like clean water to drink. I am picky about the water I do drink. I love it…. my city water was 230 ppm and it went to 0. I am looking in to the ppm differences in other brands and they don’t seem to be as good. I am interested if my husband can taste the difference also since he drinks alot of tap water I can no stand it.

3. Keith

You guys need to realize that most water filters that are on your fridge or most filter pitchers are simply carbon and mesh filters designed to take out large particulates and things like chlorine and and some heavy metals. They make no claims of removing minerals and softening your water. For that you have 3 options, reverse osmosis, ion exchange, or distillation. The only one of those processes that can be done in a pitcher is ion exchange, and that’s what zero water does,,,, it’s a great filter, just don’t use the tds meter on other filters and expect them to lower total dissolved solids also, its not what they are designed to do.

4. Dave

I have been using zero water since it came out. I lived upstairs so i never tired carrying up a 5 gallon bottle of spring water. I just moved and quickly bought 5 gallons and a crock-pot with tap. Since i have a PPM gauge that came free with my zero-filter refrigerator unit.. 395 ppm came back, my tap is 145. i will not be saving any money on filters with spring water. I feel disgusted as Spring Water is usually seen as the better water. Use those ppm meters folks.. I wish i had mine on me before i blew $50 on toilet water.

5. Mike

I’m really glad I found this post. I thought it was just me. I bought a zero water filter which came with a meter. I have a PUR water filter on my kitchen faucet with a brand new filter installed. Testing the water several times a day for over a week, the PUR water filter results (185) are consistently higher than my unfiltered town water (174). I removed the PUR and will never buy another product of theirs. I also tested my water cooler (20 liter, Polar Artic Water from BJ’s). It also consistently read 0.0 ppm. All tests were conducted using glass not plastic containers.

6. Prepper Water Bottle

I know this is an old article… But I see in some of the comments people are using their TDS water and not quite understanding how it works…

Just because your TDS reading is high after using a filter doesn’t mean that the water is not clean great tasting water. TDS reads the minerals and the right filter will remove all of the harmful minerals while leaving some which will give you a higher TDS reading then what you expect.

7. Charles

On 4-6-16 my tap water taste funny like when as kid drinking out of the water hoes. Next day gotten sick maybe from the food or water was drinking all day. So sister gotten one these water zero my tap water was 860 ppm on 4-7-16 @ 4pm and @ 7pm it was 742 ppm. Now have new readings today @ 3pm it’s at 242 ppm..

8. Mohammed Yasser

I stumbled across this post through a Google search on TDS and drinking water. My LG RO water filter gives water with a TDS of about 8 ppm, which I think is pretty good for an RO filter, although it isn’t as good as the Zero Filter you’ve mentioned.

In our state (West Bengal, India), arsenic contamination is a growing concern so I thought that an RO filter would be a good investment.

9. Sin

Well well well i have the zero water filter it’s amazing how everyone wants 0 on TDS dont u no your meant to have things like calcium / good minerals left in the water? Zero water strips it all away

How about checking the Ph Level it can also make u ill its soo low 5.0 / 5.5 also ive brought loads of replacement filters and i have to change it every 2 months

Type in Zero Water Fishy smell because it smells disgusting when the filter runs out almost sickening so make sure u dont drink it once u smell that

1. todd Post author

City tap water does not have calcium / good minerals. Only bad things are collected from aging underground pipes that route to your home from your water treatment facility. I want pure clean water and I’ll eat healthy foods for the calcium / good minerals.

10. BSwinton

Purchased a zero water filter system w/meter a couple of months ago for the office and can’t believe the difference in taste from my newly purchase refrigerator with water dispenser. I tested the refrigerator water and the faucet water and was not impress with the results compared to the zero water.

11. Adam hoier

I was shocked to see some xheap “purified water” from Aldi clocked in at 3 ppm…gallon states deep well ocala florida…filtered by reverse osmosis micronfiltration and uv lightning….ive been drinkimg tap my whole life…no problems other than high blood pressure though! Ive also found those water machines by Culligan for 27c per gallon sre pretty.good too. I get a reading about 9 ppm…when i test.mine on occasion…but as someone noted above! We want ‘some’ minerals left in our water! So im curious how low is too low…next up ill be getting a ph meter!

12. Garry

After going through most of the research material, i think 400 ppm and below water is okay to drink. I pains takingly spent countless hours learning about water, so I figured I discuss my experience.

I am baffled by how little we know about water when I first started to learn about an year ago. I read through this thread thoroughly and found that some of you guys are not paying attention to key things when considering filters.

Let me start by saying – ANY FILTER IS BETTER THAN NO FILTER AT ALL. When talking about water filters, there are many layers in water filter. In the case of Zero Water Filter, it’s 5 stage water filter system with Ionic Exchange being last stage. (Ionic exchange removes chemically bonded impurities out of water also.) In general, more stages you have in water filter system, more refined the water is. I Highly recommend installing “Whole house filtration system”, some cost as little as penny for 10 to 100 Gallons. (This helps in making our PITCHER Purifier last long. keurig, electronic appliances and other things also get reasonably protected) It is recommended to to leave some minerals and salts behind. When buying water filters these are the things I would definitely look for – * Does filter remove below things or not –
    LED, CHLORINE, MERCURY, INDUSTRIAL POLLUTANTS, PESTICIDES, PHARMA, CYSTS or MICROBIAL
    * I also check if filter is economical or not –
    – Zero Water filter is rated only at 15 Gallons (Filter being about $15, That’s about $1 a gallon. Things to keep in mind if you use this … Safe for kids but since you are removing all minerals and salts, it’s important to give kids with good multivitamin that has minerals and salts. If you are not able to give, avoid this filter.)
    – PUR Pitcher Water Filter is rated at 40 Gallons. (3 Stage system)
    (So, I use PUR Pitcher water for cooking purpose and Zero for drinking. PUR is Reasonably economical at 20 cents per gallon on Filter. )
    HoLife water filter – HoLife Replacement Water Filter, Alkaline 7 Stage Mineral Water Filter Cartridge for Holife Brita Water Pitchers, 3 Count for $19 on Amazon is bargain for getting ALKALINE WATER.
    *** I would buy all three water filters for various purposes.
    In last 5 years my health improved drastically because of paying attention to water and filters. (Avoid bottled water. Don’t let any water in plastic hit Sun’s UV rays or hot substance, even if it’s BPA free bottle.)

13. Mark

I bought a Zero Water filter for the tester that just has a light only designation to test my Alexapure filter. The light came on indicating the need to change the filter which has a max capacity of 5000 gal & which had just recently been installed. Surprise for me! Then I followed the instructions for the ZeroWater and had the same result. I am getting a digital tester to make sure of the purity. May be this tester is defective.